I often find that recipes ask for just egg yolks and I hate wasting the rest of the eggs when I have nothing to use the egg whites for. So, I’ve been searching for a recipe that can help me use up left over egg whites, and this one is ideal. These little coconut macaroons really hit the spot! They’re super quick, easy and delicious, not to mention gluten free and no more egg whites go to waste in our house any more.
- 2 egg whites
- 125g using sugar
- 125g desiccated coconut
- 125g ground almonds
- Zest of 1 lime
1. First, you need to whisk your egg whites into stiff peaks. Use a large bowl and an electric whisk to make this step nice and easy.
2. Once your egg whites are forming fluffy peaks, sift the icing sugar over your whisked egg and fold in using a large metal spoon.
3. Next, fold in the desiccated coconut, ground almonds and lime zest and mix until well distributed. The mixture should resemble a sticky dough now.
4. Using a tablespoon, scoop the mixture onto a baking sheet and shape into rough round bitesize shapes. Flatten each macaroon slightly with the back of the spoon.
5. Bake at 180°C for 10 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 150°C and bake for a further 5 minutes until firm and golden.
Once baked and cooled, your coconut macaroons should be crisp on the outside and deliciously chewy in the centre. If you want to jazz up your coconut macaroons, you can dip the bottom of your macaroons in melted dark chocolate and drizzle it across the top too. Be careful… they’re very moreish!
Wondering what to do with what’s left of the lime you used the zest from? How does a lime and mint cooler sound?
Squeeze the juice out of your lime and into a small jug. Add a teaspoon of granulated sugar and a small handful of chopped mint leaves. Give it a good stir, and top up with fizzy water or soda water – enough for a small glass full of your fresh lime and mint cooler. To serve, pour over ice cubes into a glass with a sprig of mint and a slice of lime, and enjoy the taste of summer. (Can you tell I’m dreaming of hot and sunny weather already?!)